SDG12: Responsible production and consumption
General objective: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
What is Royal FloraHolland doing to achieve this goal?
Together with the industry we aim for the production and the trading of 90% sustainable flowers and plants in 2020. Royal FloraHolland aims for transparent and reliable information about sustainability, quality and certificates on Floriday and in the various sales platforms, including the clock.
Environmental Registration and Certification
The market is increasingly demanding transparency regarding the way in which flowers and plants traded in the marketplace have been produced. For this reason and in conjunction with members, Royal FloraHolland has developed a strategy that leads to mandatory environmental registration and certification for all growers (members and non-members) who supply our marketplace.
The environmental certificate helps growers to set themselves apart in the marketplace and helps buyers to target sustainable products efficiently. We have devised a special onboarding programme to help suppliers who do not yet register digitally or are not yet certified.
The mandatory environmental certificate is being introduced in three steps:
- Step 1 - Digital environmental registration for all suppliers by 31 December 2020.
- Step 2 - Environmental certificate mandatory as of 31 December 2021.
- Step 3 - Fill in how suppliers can comply with the FSI norms in the floriculture industry, not just environmentally and socially, but also with regard to Good Agricultural Practices (GAP). No date has currently been set for this final step. We will be discussing the norms that will apply to growers after 2020 with other members of the FSI.
Do you have a question about certification? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
There is an increased demand for sustainably traded products and sustainable use of materials, including transport packaging. Royal FloraHolland is engaging in various activities, such as:
- participating in the KIDV plans to make the sector more sustainable in order to test our sustainable strategy with experts of the market. This strengthens our policy and leads to new insights and innovations
- sharing information about the environmental performance of the plant trays, to help the users (both growers and customers) to choose the most sustainable transport packaging
- a chain initiative in which we work to develop the most sustainable and efficient standard together with our stakeholders. Effective policy is impossible without the participation of our stakeholders and chain partners
- advising and encouraging the market to use the most sustainable packaging
- focusing on increasing product recycling
- Read more about sustainable packaging
- Read more about the importance of recycling single-use plant trays for sustainability
- Read more about how we work on sustainability in the industry together
The UN Sustainable Development Goals are an important guideline for increasing the sustainability of our operations. We are actively working to improve our own CO2 footprint, reducing the environmental effects on the surroundings.
We are increasingly working together with companies that also make a clear choice regarding sustainability. Our purchasing activities have a strategic role, and as a commissioning body, can boost increased sustainability as a chain and sector partner. Our ambition: CO2 neutral energy consumption in 2025
Energy policy- We are continuously working to increase the sustainability of our energy policy - for example, by buying sustainably generated electricity and by installing solar panels on a large scale. For our locations Eelde, Naaldwijk, Aalsmeer and Rijnsburg, we received the SDE subsidy (Stimulation of Sustainable Energy Production). This allows us to generate a total of 11 MW, entirely for our own use. We aim for CO2-neutral energy consumption by 2025 and therefore adhere to the SDG 7, Affordable and Clean Energy, and the SDG 13, Climate Action.
Zero waste - For our zero waste ambition, we reuse and recycle our waste flows maximally, and if not, they can be of value for other organizations. Together with our partner Milgro, market leader in the area of independent waste and raw material management, we are increasing the sustainability of our organization's waste management. The transition towards a circular economy takes waste management to a new, higher level. Our ambition is an auction without waste and as much reuse of raw materials as possible.